Friday, April 30, 2010

On the Road: Top Eats in Madison, WI


On my most recent trip back to the great city of Madison WI, home of my alma mater, University of Wisconsin, my beloved Badgers, great bars and parties, and lots of delicious food, I of course had to visit some of my favorite places for the foods that helped me pack on the freshman 30, er, 15.  They were even better than I remembered!

First, a stop at the Greenbush bakery for an old-fashioned doughnut after the Badger game:

These, folks, are the best doughnuts you can find anywhere.  You can smell the doughnuts and other goodies baking at any hour, even at 3 a.m. when you leave the bars, and you can get fresh doughnuts until Greenbush closes in the evening (on Sundays, unfortunately, they close at 2 pm).  These are moist and cakey all the way through, even right before close.  And, you can watch them at work behind the counter!



We spent the weekend visiting our favorite bars and eateries, so we capped it off by trying someplace new.  Though The Old Fashioned has been around for a while, I certainly didn't eat like this in college (visits to actual restaurants generally only took place when my parents visited).  This was an incredible brunch.  I had the Grilled Tenderloin Benedict: Wood-grilled 4oz Beef Tenderloin fillet with sauteed spinach and garlic on a toasted Wolfermann's English Muffin topped with a sunny side up egg, whole grain mustard cream and rosemary potatoes. 

I of course got the double.  This wasn't a lame breakfast steak - it was Wisconsin steak, thick and juicy and cooked perfectly (medium), and the flavors all went so well - the best eggs benedict I have ever had!


If you find yourself in Madison, WI, be sure to stop by Greenbush and The Old Fashioned, pre, mid, or post-party!

No comments:

Post a Comment