Friday, February 12, 2010

friday with dorie

Have you heard of Tuesdays with Dorie? If you're a FoodGawker stalker or a Tastespotting fanatic (which Cannelle and I most certainly are), you've doubtless seen the "TWD" in some captions... Basically, every week a member of the Tuesdays with Dorie blogroll selects a recipe from Dorie Greenspan's "Baking: From My Home to Yours", and every Tuesday members of the group post photos of the goods on their blogs. It's sort of an homage to Dorie and her incredible recipes.

The most recent recipe for the TWD clan is Dorie's Best Chocolate Chip Cookies, and guess what? Since I visited her Cookie Bar pop-up shop today, I currently have TWO of them in my possession, baked by Dorie. One is for me, and one is for Cannelle. We don't share cookies.

I had heard all about this pop-up shop (which opened Monday and closes tomorrow) since Cannelle mentioned it a week ago when she saw it on Serious Eats. I had been dying to go but had been too busy at work to even step outside my office. Today I finally carved some time out of my lunch break to walk up to 59th and Park and see what Dorie had on hand.
 
My first surprise came when I realized that Dorie Greenspan herself was doling out cookies; with a glove on her right hand and a baggie (or box) in her left, she was hard at work filling the boxes with delicious treats. I heard her say that every night since this began on Monday they've been baking more and more cookies - her son Josh said that last night they made over 1200. It looks like there aren't that many cookies out on display (and there aren't), but looks can be deceiving - behind the bar Dorie had stacks of cookies in plastic containers, waiting to be eaten. Though they appeared to have plenty of chocolate chip cookies on hand, there were no World Peace cookies remaining when I got there at 12:15 (it opened at 11). I think I'll have to bake those myself.
 
I was lucky enough to be helped by Dorie and so had a little chat with her - I told her how much I'd heard about the pop-up shop ("Oh, good! Yes, we've had a lot of visitors!"), how excited I was for her permanent shop to open ("Trust me, I am too!" - the girl behind me asked where it would be and Dorie replied, "We're working on that..."), and how I'd been following TWD for quite some time ("You know, a girl from NYU came in here yesterday and told me how she wrote a paper for her food and society class on Tuesdays with Dorie!"). Honestly, she could not have been sweeter. And her cookies are absolutely incredible. I had a chocolate chunker as my afternoon snack:

Yum. Seriously, YUMMM...!!! This is one dense cookie, in the best possible way. It is a brownie-like cookie. It is a little bit chewy. When I had it, it was cold, which was perfect. This cookie is chocolaty beyond belief - Dorie packs three kinds of chocolate in there (milk, semisweet, bitter), and they go together beautifully. There are salted cashews and cherries dotted throughout. Every bite is a little bit of an adventure: Will I get a mouthful of chocolate? Maybe a salted cashew and a chocolate chunk? Will I hit the jackpot and score a chocolate-cherry-cashew bite? The possibilities were endless and I savored every single bite. For $3.50, the price was a little steep, but goodness, that cookie was...delicious.

I think her permanent outpost, whenever/wherever that opens, will be a frequent stop for me.

Tonight, Cannelle and I have some important research to do on Dorie's peanut butter cookie, chocolate chip cookie, and molasses spice cookie and will report back on our findings.

xx
Miel

No comments:

Post a Comment