Thursday, February 4, 2010

get involved

in restaurant week!  Miel, Cherry Cupcake and I set out for our restaurant week dinner and, like good little piggies, followed our tummies and the rave reviews of nyc dining experts Blondie and Brownie right to Convivio, nestled in Tudor city.  our culinary oracles did not disappoint.

The restaurant was really beautiful - romantic enough for a date but cheery enough for a dinner with girlfriends.  here's the rundown...

Cherry Cupcake and Miel opted for the Zuppa di Funghi (creamy and rich...much better than my poor photography skills show),  while I went for the Salame Piccante (amazing, spicy salami paired with three types of marinated, fresh, perfectly seasoned mushrooms....mmmmm)


For the main course, Cherry Cupcake and I both opted for the Brasato di Maiale (tomato braised pork shoulder).  This was my first encounter with polenta, and let me tell you, it was incroyable.  I will be back for more.  The sauce was so rich and flavorful (and went especially well with the fresh olive and ciabatta breads and olive oil that came along with the meal).  Most of the meat was very tender, only complaint is that a few pieces were a bit dry (I am a bit of a perfectionist)...
Miel went with the pasta dish (I forget the name and it's not listed online - but it included duck sausage, pesto, and broccoli rabe...and it too was expertly prepared.  fresh pasta is always a good thing..)

And we all finished off our meals with the Tartaletta di Caramelle...I was a little disappointed at first that the Budino was not available (I am a sucker for warm chocolate cake), but was pleasantly surprised by the salty/sweet combo here. 

Overall a delicious meal and a great deal.  I must comment on the portions, however - they were notably smaller (and I mean less than 1/4 the size) than those of patrons not participating in the restaurant week deal.  When you are already offering a limited menu, this seems a bit excessive.  But then again I am a bottomless pit and could benefit from being cut off by smaller portions.  And, I must admit, I left satisfied...

Would call this one a win.

xx
Cannelle

No comments:

Post a Comment