Saturday, February 20, 2010

Restaurant Week Date: 10 Downing

Friday night took me to 10 Downing for a second date and restaurant week meal...and while I did not bust out the camera (the second date is a bit early to reveal my over-the-top love of food, right?), i just hadddd to blog about this dinner. There were a few misses...but when they were on, they were on.

First the waiter brought over carrot soup and bread compliments of the chef. The carrot soup was sweet and savory and a bit creamy - really really good. The bread....ehhh it was actually a bit stale.  To try an extra app, we shared the grilled wild mushroom polenta manchego cheese gratin.  I was not a huge fan of this - the manchego flavor was a bit overpowering, and the polenta was on the lumpy side - the only other time I've had polenta was at Convivio...where it was smooth and creamy.  I much prefer it that way! 



For the restaurant week meal, we both had the potato-leek soup appetizer. The soup was good, but not great - it was very creamy and filling but something about the flavor was a bit off. 



To follow we both got the duck (I know, boring to order the same thing but - they were the best options on the menu!), and this was incredible. The duck was cooked perfectly, came on top of spinach and capers, and was topped with an apple chutney. The flavors of every part of this dish went perfectly together. I have to say, I am not always a huge spinach fan - it can be very bland - so when it is done well, I am impressed.

Finally, dessert. I ordered the cocoa nib panna cotta, and he ordered the butterscotch pot de creme. The panna cotta came with brownie bits and marshmallows, which together with the creamy panna cotta, dark chocolate sauce and chocolate crunch bar, was so rich and deeeelish. The star, however, was the butterscotch pot de creme. This was a creamy-sweet custard-like dessert, served with toasted pecans and a rich butterscotch sauce on the side. Good thing he's not a dessert guy....I got to eat most of both desserts :o)


Overall this was a great meal. Not the best restaurant week meal I've had (so far, those honors go to The Modern and Asia de Cuba), and a few inconsistencies, but definitely a success.  So glad they extended restaurant week again this year - so clutch for the food lover on a budget!

cheers
cannelle

*Photos compliments of Blondie and Brownie's review of their RW week meal at 10 Downing

No comments:

Post a Comment