Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Restaurant Week: Crema Restaurante

I had the opportunity to visit Crema during the extended Restaurant Week for my high school friend's 25th birthday. In general, I'm a lover of all things Mexican so I figured I'd enjoy a higher-end Mexican restaurant even more. Crema did not disappoint (me, at least).

Pictures and more after the jump!

We started with some communal guacamole and chips, which were so amazingly delicious. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos, but if you ever go there, you should absolutely get the chips and guac.

The starters they offered were butternut squash soup with coconut milk, chipotle chile and pumpkin seeds (the one I chose), a serrano spice crab cake with taramind salsa and truffle aioli (what everyone else at the table got), and a taco with tequila-beer braised beef cheeks.
The soup was absolutely delicious. It was creamy but not too heavy, spicy but my mouth wasn't on fire, and the pumpkin seeds added a nice crunch to an otherwise velvety soup. Everyone at the table wished they'd gotten this soup, and I heard some grumblings about the crab cake. I think I made the right choice!

The second course options were duck enchiladas with salsa verde and cotija cheese (what I got), pan seared scallops with chipotle glaze, corn cake and black Mexican truffle (what everyone else at the table got), and a rack of lamb with cilantro chile pesto.
The duck enchiladas were delicious. I was pretty full from the chips, guacamole and soup, so I didn't eat very much of the enchiladas and instead took most of them home and had them for dinner the next day. I love most dishes that involve duck, and this was definitely up there with top duck meals (along with duck confit and Peking duck...mmm, duck...). I honestly don't remember many specifics about how it tasted, but I do know it was miiiiighty tasty!

Though I pretty full, I can ALWAYS find room for dessert. Our options were goat milk caramel cheesecake or a tres leches cake with strawberries and dulce de leche ice cream.
It wasn't my favorite, but trust me, I ate it all! There was something about the strawberry - I didn't think that it went with the tres leches cake or the dulce de leche ice cream. I don't know, it just wasn't my favorite. The one person who got the cheesecake didn't say great things about it... Maybe skip the desserts at Crema.

All in all the food was delicious, and the company was wonderful.

xx
Miel

No comments:

Post a Comment